Friday, August 29, 2008

Nobility and Morality

"You spend your formative years being told that you're sick, you're a deviant, that who you are as a person is wrong. Then when you reacted as you did... tell me, mom, do you think any less of me knowing what you do now?"

"Not in the slightest. There is no consensual sex act between adults that is immoral."

While I was relieved to hear it (of course, it failed to allay her fears on other fronts), I had to wonder if it was a complete answer to my question. I have never once doubted the morality of my actions; there can be no moral evil involved in what I'm doing here, even if I do get hurt because of my own actions.

But it seems to me that, "is what I'm doing harmful to other people?" is a very different question from, "should I be thought less of because of what I do in the bedroom?" There may be no justification for governmental intervention, for anyone to protect me from myself, but that's not to say that I'm living the best life here.

However, "best life" doesn't seem to hit the anxiety I'm feeling. I believe that the best life is the happiest life, and, whether or not my submissive sexual orientation is more or less conducive to that, now that I have it, exploring it seems better for my happiness than keeping it repressed.

I suppose the best way to phrase my question is, "Are my actions noble?" As corollaries- "Do my actions or desires align with what I would consider a good human being to do? Do they align with my political and philosophical beliefs?"

I feel adrift here. My questions are getting closer to the mark, but they're not hitting it yet. Perhaps it's because I'm not sure of the nobility or virtue that I'm striving for. In any case, if I can't get a handle on the question yet, I'm certainly not equipped to come to a satisfactory answer.

At least I've got a goal to strive for.

No comments: